How cold is too cold for Chicks who wont use their coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Princess5150, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Princess5150

Princess5150 New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    My Chicks are about 7 months old they have a cute little coop but will not sleep in it, they will go up into the trees or sleep on the bench next to the front door. I'm worried because it is supposed to get down to 40 degrees tonight, will they be OK or should I make them go into the coop? Please help I'm worried sick [​IMG]

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    They will be fine.
    If you want them to sleep in the coop, try locking them in it for a couple of days

3. Junaleefarm

Junaleefarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    Crane, Mo
    I have chickens that sleep in the trees all the time. They never have any problems and it often gets down to 0 degrees or sometimes in the negative at night here.

4. six_eclectic_chickens

six_eclectic_chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    ditto the previous things. Try placing them in the coop after it gets dark. They should settle in.

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    40...wow I wish it were 40 here at night...we are down to almost sub zero...they will do fine outside, I would be more worried about predators...try putting them in at night, or place a small light inside so they can see their way back in...chickens can tolerate very, VERY cold temps as long as there is no drafts to chill them.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah...predators will get your birds before the cold does if you're not shutting them inside a secure area at night...

7. Princess5150

Princess5150 New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    I'm new to this website as well as to being a new chicken Mom. I just wanted to say thank you all so much for answering my question. I feel much more at ease now knowing they can handle the cold weather. Thanks again, and I'm sure you will be hearing from me again [​IMG]

8. Junaleefarm

Junaleefarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    Crane, Mo
    no problem- that's why we all like hanging out here.

9. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:x 2

[​IMG] I would be more concerned about predators.

Things like this which hang outside my coop at night ~ inside my run! My chickens are always safely locked inside at night.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by