How cold is too cold for silkies?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LazerClaire, Oct 9, 2012.

1. LazerClaire

LazerClaire Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    Harvest, Alabama
    They stayed out in the igloo doghouse coop I have last night, it got down to at least 38. They were with 2 big chickens & 2 regular feathered bantams with the 2 silkies. I have the a wind block in the door and ventilation holes at the top. They seem fine today.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

When I had silkies I gave them a little light bulb when it got under freezing but with a dogloo I'd not risk the chance of fire as there is not an easy way to hang it. It helps that they have other chickens in there to huddle with.

Since you are not in a cold state I'd just go with what you have. You can give them lots of bedding in there to huddle down into and since there are 2 silkies they will huddle together. I have given hot water milk jugs to silkies before when I didn't have a good way of getting them under the light bulb. Not so hot that it burns them, but something warm to help for a few hours. By morning the jugs are very cold though.

3. LazerClaire

LazerClaire Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    Harvest, Alabama
    Thanks, I think if it gets very cold & I get worried I will take them inside.

4. duckie mama

duckie mama Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    kilgore
    contrary to belief it can get very cold in Alalbama. how far are you from gadsden? my my brother livs on the outskirts of gadsden and he uses a 100watt light bulb in his 8x8 shed keeps the water from freezing but also keeps his hens warm and happy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by