How cold is TOO cold for swimming/getting wet?

joesandy1822

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2012
Hello all. I have a Pekin and a Muskovy (both hens). We have a backyard pond with goldfish (3,000 gallons). The ducks love it, but we put a net over it each fall until the spring to keep leaves out. This is our first winter with the ducks.

They miss swimming. They sit by the edge of the netted pond, pouting. I tried filling a kiddy pool to get them through the winter. That was quickly too much hassle for me, trying to keep it clean. One day, it occurred to me that I could hook a garden hose up to my laundry tub in my mudroom, and just give them a spray through the back door. They LOVE it, and it helps keep them clean. I use regular, cold tap water.

My question is….when is it too cold to get them wet? So far, no matter how cold it has gotten (I’m in Michigan, gets below freezing frequently) they still love it and expect it each day. I don’t want to make them sick.

Please advise. Thank you!

Hello all. I have a Pekin and a Muskovy (both hens). We have a backyard pond with goldfish (3,000 gallons). The ducks love it, but we put a net over it each fall until the spring to keep leaves out. This is our first winter with the ducks.

They miss swimming. They sit by the edge of the netted pond, pouting. I tried filling a kiddy pool to get them through the winter. That was quickly too much hassle for me, trying to keep it clean. One day, it occurred to me that I could hook a garden hose up to my laundry tub in my mudroom, and just give them a spray through the back door. They LOVE it, and it helps keep them clean. I use regular, cold tap water.

My question is….when is it too cold to get them wet? So far, no matter how cold it has gotten (I’m in Michigan, gets below freezing frequently) they still love it and expect it each day. I don’t want to make them sick.

I’m no duck expert, but they are kinda made for water. I see ducks swimming around in the dead of winter.

Ours will swim no matter the temp/conditions. But we live in Utah, which I know isn't as harsh as Michigan. Where at in Michigan? My grandparents live in the UP.

Anyways as long as our hose isn’t froze we fill their pool and let them swim. I figure if it’s too cold for them they won’t get in. So I let them make the choice.

Mine have been bathing in the rubber tub when its 15f. I do have a deicer so the water is 'warm', but some mornings there is still ice and snow on top which I have to break. Ducks seem to enjoying fishing for and eating ice bits, the slushy snow not so much.

I added a floating deicer for the fish and turtles in my pond, but the hole is exactly sized and the birds haven't tried to drink, bathe, or swim.

PS: last year I had week old goslings out on the snow. They are a lot more cold tolerant than we think.

24 degrees F this morning and lovin it!

Had to go out and break up the ice layer for them

496E8DCD-CD6E-4D73-BBBC-64C6AF50FEE0.jpeg

Wow, thank you everybody for your feedback! I’m thrilled to get input from those who are definitely more experienced than I am. I wouldn’t want to do anything that would inadvertently harm them. I figured if they didn’t like it, they would run AWAY from the spray of the hose instead of into it! 🤣 So I guess i wasn’t far off.

That photo above is priceless! Brrrrr!

Wow, thank you everybody for your feedback! I’m thrilled to get input from those who are definitely more experienced than I am. I wouldn’t want to do anything that would inadvertently harm them. I figured if they didn’t like it, they would run AWAY from the spray of the hose instead of into it! 🤣 So I guess i wasn’t far off.

That photo above is priceless! Brrrrr!
Haha aren’t ducks crazy??

Glad we could help!

My ducks have a 3/4 acre pond with a windmill. The wind keeps the water open. The ducks swim everyday. Our January/February temps are usually freezing, but not below zero. The ducks go through plenty of snow on the way to the pond.

I live in Colorado up in the mountains. If the sun is out and I can get the water running outside, we fill up the kiddie pool for the girls. We also have smaller rubber basins for them that we got at the tractor supply. They'll get in whenever they want, and if they don't we don't sweat it. There are hot springs that are natural in our area, so we have poured hot water in for them and they dive right in this winter. They absolutely have loved it.

Back
Top Bottom