how cold is too cold for the chickens coop

ldutch123

Songster
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
Illinois
I have a coop for my 11 girls and 1 polish roo. It's gonna get to 27 degrees tonight and the coop is a metal shed. Not insulated. Do I need to worry about my chickens getting too cold? I read my polish birds aren't cold hardy? What if anything should I do

I can't say with a metal shed.

However I would use some foam board insulation covered with thin ply wood on the walls. Lots of straw on the floor too. Or depending on how big the shed is, you could stack some bales of hay around the perimeter inside. Three sides might be enough.

I hang a thermometer inside my coops so I can monitor the temps.

Where are you located?

Rancher

As long as your chickens were not recently put out in the cold 27 degrees won't even phase them. Its all a matter of acclimation to the climate-if they slowly get used to it through the fall- no problem. If your chickens have big old floppy combs there could be issues with frostbite but only if you see temps down nearer to zero.

old.gif
:caf From everything that I've read and understand you would have to live in the north or south pole for it to be to cold for chickens.That may be over kill butChickens have lived for a long time in the cold with no problems.If you give them a good shelter for them to get in,and give them the food and water they need to stay warm;the good Lord gave them the feathers to stay warm.Cattle,horses,and all oyher farm animals stay warm with no heat and they have less on and more body to keep out of the wind.
wee.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

I am in Wilmington Illinois and plan on no heat this winter for my adult chickens. I will be sure that there are no drafts, at least to a minimum. And the roost is wide enoungh for them to cover their feet and toes.

With metal, you'll want to make sure you do have enough ventilation to prevent condensation collecting, but make sure there are no drafts able to blow on your birds at night while roosting. Personally, I'd want to line the ceiling/walls with something, as RH suggested. Many inches of bedding is good. I'm not familiar with the hardiness of polish, but most breeds can survive with few issues down to 0 degrees, and many have chickens in colder winter temps. than that. Depending on your numbers vs coop size, you might do a search on huddle boxes - I'm guessing your winters are going to get a lot colder than the 20s...lol.
Some folks do add a lamp or other small heating device to their coops when temps plummet, but chickens can handle very cold temps. without that extra if your coop is draft free and liquid water and nutritious food are readily available.

I have a three sided coop that has alot of metal. Its been pretty cold here around 29 or so. I added more pine shvings in the coop part. It was just sand for the summer. The birds are doing fine. I suggest standing in the coop & see how it feels do you feel any wind blowing on the birds if you do than I would block that area off . My chickens roost is in a big window but no cold wind blows in from
that direction so its all good.
63768_peepers_005.jpg

Well here in NY it will be below zero, so I have to worry. I try to keep the temp up over that if I can. Gotta watch the humidiy. That's a real killer. Chickens can take a lot. I've got a new hoop coop with nothing but a tarp for a roof, but chickens generate alot of heat and humidity.

Snow is a good insulator so as long as it doesn't crush my coops I'm ok. I rather have that than bitter cold.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom