How cold is too cold for young BOs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by allisojo, Jan 16, 2009.

1. allisojo

allisojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    Hi there - I just got some more EEs today, and they're almost 8 weeks old. They're pretty well feathered out, but I'm sure they're not 100% there. I've got them isolated from my existing flock and will keep them there for the next month. Here's my question: the house in my isolated run is definitely not draft free, and it's going to be in the mid- to upper-twenties tonight without any wind. Will they do all right in there? Should I put a 250-watt heat lamp in there with them? Should I put a tarp over their house at night?

My other option is to put them inside in my workshop every night for the next month until they're ready to join my current flock in the comfy coop, but that doesn't sound like much fun for me or them. What do you think? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  2. allisojo

allisojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    My wife just asked if we could put them in a clean dogloo (sp?) with some straw? There are only five of them. Has anyone ever done something like this? Thanks again.

3. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Do not put a tarp over the house moisture will build up and could cause frostbite. Put in a heat lamp just make sure it high enough hot to burn them and they have enough room to get away from it if they want.

4. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Dog loo would work if big enough.

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Be sure to block the drafts with something although you need to have some ventilation. Drafts are the killers more than the cold alone. Jean

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have used a tarp with a red 250 watt heat lamp inside. I did leave a little airspace on one side on the bottom for a little air. I made a bracket so the lamp wouldn't be close to the tarp. It worked for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by