How cold is too cold?

flumpus

Chirping
Mar 17, 2021
I live in the mountains with my flock of 13 birds. They free range during the day and have a 5x8 coop to return to at night.

There is a cold front coming in this weekend, and it's currently 0F, dropping to -4F overnight with a windchill of -30F. The coop is an XL OverEZ coop and I use the deep litter method with a combo of straw and pine bedding.

Since I knew the weather was going to get rough tonight, I blocked the auto pop-hole door with pillows shoved in a garbage bag to stop the draft, and added an extra bag of pine shavings to the floor and back walls of the coop. I'm really not happy with the OverEZ coop as the vents are somewhat small and there is moisture that has frozen on to the windows of the coop, but at the present moment it's too late to remedy that. I rubbed Bag Balm on the chickens' combs and wattles this evening so they've got a good thick layer to protect against frostbite, but am still worried about them - it's the coldest night they've ever had to deal with. I don't know how much of an issue the windchill will be since they're not out in the wind. At what point, if any, should I bring them inside?

I live in the mountains with my flock of 13 birds. They free range during the day and have a 5x8 coop to return to at night.

There is a cold front coming in this weekend, and it's currently 0F, dropping to -4F overnight with a windchill of -30F. The coop is an XL OverEZ coop and I use the deep litter method with a combo of straw and pine bedding.

Since I knew the weather was going to get rough tonight, I blocked the auto pop-hole door with pillows shoved in a garbage bag to stop the draft, and added an extra bag of pine shavings to the floor and back walls of the coop. I'm really not happy with the OverEZ coop as the vents are somewhat small and there is moisture that has frozen on to the windows of the coop, but at the present moment it's too late to remedy that. I rubbed Bag Balm on the chickens' combs and wattles this evening so they've got a good thick layer to protect against frostbite, but am still worried about them - it's the coldest night they've ever had to deal with. I don't know how much of an issue the windchill will be since they're not out in the wind. At what point, if any, should I bring them inside?
I’m no expert but I know this anxiety for your girls in the cold! Personally I would say if they are acclimated somewhat to the cold and are free from drafts and not wet they should be just fine. 13 girls cuddling will keep them pretty toasty! Maybe some scratch for their tummies tomorrow night. I too would work on the ventilation… that’s going to be your biggest worry. So many helpful people here for that! Send some pics and they will jump in! ♥️🐓

Windchill isn't a factor if they're inside and there's no drafts.

If you haven't added any ventilation to the coop, that's something you want to consider adding once weather is better, as the default windows on that style of coop aren't enough ventilation nor ideally placed. Opening up the soffits would be the ideal spot for additional ventilation since they're protected by the roof overhang.

I've been in your exact situation. It was -18F couple weeks ago and at my folks -27F. Seems like your coop is bundled up best it could. I do pretty much what you're doing. Chickens are surprisingly tough. You could place a coop heating pad, lamp, or chicken space heater (research is the best way to go on this). Few extra things you can do is increase their protein. Mealworms and little bit of corn will increase their body temperature.

So when to add heat. We live in the mountains of western NC and we're going to be in the single digits for close to a week week after this coming one, with low teens next week these are lows. I've never offered heat overnight but I have a 12 yr old rooster and a13 yr old Muscovy duck that I am most worried about. I have one sweeter heater but there is no way they will share it. Worried about hanging a heat lamp although the one I have is from Premier1 which are very safe lamps, mainly don't want to use any heat if it will end up hurting them, in the end, more than helping. I don't usually put feed and water inside because anyone who has ducks knows what a disaster this can be but I think I have figured out how to do it so anyone who doesn't want to venture out won't have to. My main concern is when to offer heat. I do have tiny bantams in my flock that are young 5yrs and down.

So…how did they do? ☺️🐓 I would also recommend taking all food and water out of their coop/run area because that too can create unwanted moisture and they won’t eat or drink at night anyway! My concern with the heat.. obvious fire hazard BUT also if you get your girls regularly and the power goes out they will be in a very dire situation. There are many different opinions on heat, mine is never needed but I also don’t have a generator and live in a place where power likes to go out! You’ll get a lot of great advice about that here too!

So…how did they do? ☺️🐓 I would also recommend taking all food and water out of their coop/run area because that too can create unwanted moisture and they won’t eat or drink at night anyway! My concern with the heat.. obvious fire hazard BUT also if you get your girls regularly and the power goes out they will be in a very dire situation. There are many different opinions on heat, mine is never needed but I also don’t have a generator and live in a place where power likes to go out! You’ll get a lot of great advice about that here too!
they all made it through the night! I noticed what looked to be very mild frostbite on some of the tips of their combs, so applied extra bag balm this evening. tomorrow night we're supposed to get a heavy snowfall and then the weather should go back to being in the single digits and teens, so it won't be as hard on them as yesterday and today.

I like to remind folks that chickens are birds, and nature has provided birds with what they need to survive. Our domesticated birds are at a great advantage over wild birds, as we provide them shelter and protection from the elements, along with a steady supply of food and water, which their wild cousins don't get.

Adding heat to their indoor environment can ultimately do more harm than good. They will become acclimated to it, and if the power goes out they will be at a distinct disadvantage and could chill. Not to mention the possible fire hazards. If they get cold they will huddle together. As long as they are not wet and don't have wind ruffling their feathers, exposing bare skin, they should do okay.

That's my understanding anyway. Others in colder climates may have other suggestions or insights.

Back
Top Bottom