How cold is too cold?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by wbruder17, Nov 22, 2010.

1. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have 2 male red golden pheasants. I live in NW Oregon, where it really doesn't get that cold. Mid 20s at its very coldest and not for extended periods of time. I put my chickens in at night but leave the pheasants out in the run. There are plenty of sheltered roosting areas, some more sheltered than others. They always sleep in the same corner that has cover and a fence on one side. How cold is too cold to leave them out? Because I CAN catch them if I need to and make them stay in the coop. It is big enough, with lots of open perch places and they like to go in there sometimes during the day, but not at night.

2. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    My ruffed pheasants are out in the negatives and do fine!

3. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    If that's all the colder it gets there, then you should be A-okay just letting them roost where ever they prefer.

I have silver pheasants and melanistic ringnecks and they all prefer to roost outside even though they have access to a little building they can go into.... They have areas in the pen they can sit or roost that has a canopy overhead if they want that can keep rain/snow directly off them, but they will stay out in the pen regardless of temp or precipitation. It gets sub-zero here occasionally.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  4. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I figured they are wild birds and should be fine. Especially as ringnecks survive in PA where im from and it gets ways colder there, and they have plenty of cover and protection if they want it. Thanks.

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Mine did fine to -45*F with fresh food/water all winter and no heat. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  6. wbruder17

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Excellent. I will not worry about them anymore.

7. Humhill

Humhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Liberty, NC
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Mine did fine to -45*F with fresh food/water all winter and no heat. [​IMG]

[​IMG] -45*F ??? OMG, that's cold...
    We're in NC. We may get a "nice" snow a couple times in the winter (ie. 2 inches), we'll have a couple spells of temps in the teens, and we have been below 0 before, but doesn't happen often.

I guess I won't be worrying about mine either!! Is there anything I should do to help them out over the winter?​

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    [​IMG]

ALL I CAN SAY IS ONCE IT GETS DOWN TO 40 I MAKE THEM TAKE OFF THEIR BATHING SUITS AND WEAR SHORTS, T SHIRTS (NO TANK TOPS) AND FLIP FLOPS AT LEAST...

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] -45*F ??? OMG, that's cold...
    We're in NC. We may get a "nice" snow a couple times in the winter (ie. 2 inches), we'll have a couple spells of temps in the teens, and we have been below 0 before, but doesn't happen often.

I guess I won't be worrying about mine either!! Is there anything I should do to help them out over the winter?

Giggle! They really are resilient birds. [​IMG] I love them. Best thing I did was give them a big box enclosure full of fresh dry hay. They would hunker down into it in the really cold weather and would do just fine. I'm always amazed at how much heat they put off. Like the chickens, a handful of scratch or BOSS in the evening helps, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by