How Cold is Too Cold?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MicroFarmMom, Feb 5, 2011.

1. MicroFarmMom

MicroFarmMom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2011
    It will be 32 here tonght. While the cage is relatively draft free, all I have is a heat lamp on them a 250w brooder. Should that be okay?? They are 5wks if that helps...

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    No Drafts And No Wetness And They'll Be Fine. Coturnix Are Alot Tougher Than Many Folks Would Think.

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I had some week olds that made it through 20* temps in an insulated brooder. Your 5 week olds will be fine. My adults made it through -10* with a heat lamp this year.

4. MicroFarmMom

Feb 2, 2011
    Oh thank god! I have been stressing about it all night. I keep going out there and checking on them. I have the lamp facing into the open part of the cage and some are heading over to the nest area so I assume it's warm enough if they aren't all sticking right to the light. Right? lol! I did cover the front where the light isn't to keep the heat in best I can![​IMG]

Thanks a lot - I really didn't want to have to move them in again - crowing at daylight isn't my favorite thing! LOL!

5. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    As long as they aren't huddling they are warm.[​IMG]

6. MicroFarmMom

Feb 2, 2011
    If I do catch them huddleing - would it be a fire safety problem if I coverd the brooder with a towel - it's a 250wt

7. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Trust me, they won't huddle until it starts getting down in the single digits. As long as there are no drafts and they are dry they will be fine.

8. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:32 ain't nothing to a fully feathered adult coturnix!

They can even withstand a draft, water, but it's not recommended! 32 ain't nothing, even with a draft.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by