how cold is too cold?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by UbDucks, Jan 1, 2014.

1. UbDucks

UbDucks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2014
    I have three Runners. Later this week the night temp is supposed to go down to -22 F. Their shelter is 4x4, plywood, uninsulated with shavings bed. This is their second winter but temps have not been that low before. Will they be OK? I could put them in chicken coop for the night (insulated house with heat lamp) but they are not used to being with the chickens so that might not be a good idea.

I did read the long post on ducks in winter, and it seems clear that ducks can tolerate pretty cold temps. Just not sure how cold is TOO cold. Have had chickens for years, but fairly new to ducks.
    Thanks!!!

2. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    They should be okay. However, you could try stacking some hay around the coop for insulation. My coop is framed with 2x4s and I strung baling twine on the studs and stuffed slices of hay bales between the studs. I also use a deep litter bedding of shavings and peat moss, which adds insulation to the floor.

1 person likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I haven't tried the hay bales as insulation in the walls, but great idea, I do however have shaving and peat moss on the floor of their stalls thick, to help with insulation there. We're to have our first single digits next week. As long as they can get out of the extremes, keep their house door open so they have a choice of staying in or going out, and can get out of the wind,snow or rain they should be fine. [​IMG]

4. samuelsonfarm

samuelsonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2013
    I was just about to ask this same question. Has anyone ever used some jugs of warm water for them to snuggle up to? Our ducks are in a big shed that is sectioned off with straw 3 bales high in one corner. They have free reign of the shed,but they usually bed down on the straw (deep litter method) when they sleep. I was thinking I'd fill up 10 milk jugs of hot water an put them out there at night tomorrow since its supposed to be sub zero temps, and make sure they get a meal of cracked corn before bed. I'm not planning on letting outside at all since their house is a ways away from their winter outdoor pen. Thoughts?

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    If they have good food and shelter that is well ventilated but draft free they should be ok. I am cold too.. This is my night to come(posted below)... this is C&P'd off my weather so i didn't guess FYI... i would probably say my coops, small barn have some natural forms of insulation because of their materials but they are not heated, i bed with shavings.. i made sure everyone was well fed/watered before shutdown, i do have a heated bucket and a tin of feed in the main barn but a few of the birds in smaller buildings don't due to lack of sizing...

Wed. Overnight
    Variable cloudiness
    [​IMG]
    -6°F
    Feels like -26​

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I think i would be concerned about adding to much moisture with that. good bedding, food, venting are what i lean towards and do myself. I feed whole corn here however.

7. samuelsonfarm

samuelsonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2013

Do you think a sealed milk jug would add moisture? I wouldn't want that,I didn't think it would since its sealed in plastic. But it seems like they ought to be ok without it. Brrrr.

8. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I don;t know but combined with the body warm of a duck? they are warm if you stick you hands underneath the wings... i do understand the concern, it's only natural to be concerned we're actually under a wind chill warning tonight and while i know animals are not affected by windchills like we are it's still yikes! I know some believe water in coops/barns add moisture period causing concerns of humidity rising, i do keep my heated bucket in the main barn however.. but this building is well vented to counteract that.

9. cymbaline

cymbaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    Mine refuse to go in/stay in the house I built them no matter how cold it gets (they're in a very safe enclosure regardless), so my plan is a heated tub of water and their old heat lamp from when they were babies, that way they can get warm under the lamp whenever they want, and they will always be able to eat because they'll always have unfrozen water. Just installed an outside outlet yesterday when I saw the forecast, lol...knew I had to be prepared. Of course it's only going to be -1 (only?!) here. ;)

10. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    Mine rarely go into their coop on their own, no matter how cold it is. I have to herd them in at dark. It may be because I have a spring fed pond that never freezes and they would sit on the water all night if I let them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by