how cold is too cold?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by susanschickies, Jan 4, 2014.

1. susanschickies

susanschickies New Egg

Aug 31, 2013
    it is suppose to be - 30 degrees the next few days. my chickens coop is inside an unheated garage with the run outside. they have a small lamp but is - 30 something i should be worried about?

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I am with you in the same boat - supposed to feel like -50 here!!!! It hasn't been that cold in 18 years! My chicken coop is within and unheated barn. The coop itself is not drafty. (But still has ventilation.) I am 95% sure I am going to put the heat lamp up. I like to refrain from putting it up, because I want the chickens to acclimate to the cold in case the power goes out and boom they don't have heat, and with heat lamps there is risk of fire. BUT. With it being this cold, I think the risk of them freezing is just as high as fire or anything. I would watch the chickens and see how they deal with it - if they are puffed up, that just means they are keeping warm. If they are eating and drinking, and not shivering or lethargic, they are fine. A good test is to throw some scratch for them - if they go for it with vigor, they are fine. If they stay where they are, they are most likely to cold.

I hope my little *book* has helped you! :) [​IMG]

3. susanschickies

susanschickies New Egg

Aug 31, 2013
    thank you and stay warm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by