1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how cold is tooooooooo cold?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by big red chicken, Jan 4, 2010.

1. big red chicken

big red chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    I live in Eastern NC and the temp is droping in the lower 20's. I didn't have any problem with the temp until now. My 9 wks old chick/chickens are in a box with a light. Well the light keep blowing for some reason. So my ? is, do you think they can survive if I place them in the coop without heat now? It's only six of them. Mix breed

2. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    I would find out why the light is blowing out. could be a fire haz. back to your ? how long have they been outside? If they are use to cooler temps they should be ok but if they have had heat on them see line one hope all work out well

3. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I have 6 chicks (2 silkies, 2 BRs, 1 EE, and 1 RIR) that will be 8 weeks tomorrow. I live on the Eastern Shore of VA, and they've been outside since Christmas Day, so about 1.5 weeks. The thing I was real careful about was lowering their temperatures. The brooder temperatures would only go down to 50 degrees. So the last two weeks they were inside I took them on excursions to the coop (with about a 40 degree temperature). I started with only an hour or so, and just a few days before they went outside they were out in the coop for most of the day (5-7 hrs). Therefore before they went out they were used to 40 degree days and 50 degree nights.

The first few nights they were out in the coop I got lucky with temperatures. We had two straight days of 50 degree highs and 40 degree lows. Then I lowered to 40 and 30. And finally the last 3 days have been 30 and 20. I check on them probably more than I need to. I chalk that up to these being my first chicks. But they always seem fine, except when I wake them up. Haha! They snuggle together at night, like they've always done. But I've never seen them huddle, even early in the morning when it's the coldest.

So just make sure you're careful about acclimating them to temperatures and I think you'll be just fine. [​IMG] If they've had the light for a few days out in the coop, and you slowly wean them off it I think they'll be ok. Just make sure to keep it on hand just in case.

Now if you have older birds in your coop, that's a whole different ball game.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  4. Paraclete 2

Paraclete 2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2009
    In my opinion the low twenties is to cold for eight week old chicks. I would never let them be in less than forty degree temp's at that age. I go through around five hundred birds every year and I just would not do it. I wish you the very best what ever decision you make. Paraclete 2

5. big red chicken

big red chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    thank you all for your recommendations. I do think the light blowing my be a fire hazard that is y I think I want to go ahead and placed them in the chicken coop. I will keep you all inform on my decision. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by