1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how come my brrody hen...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by c.wilson, Jul 9, 2008.

1. c.wilson

c.wilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    Hi all. [​IMG] [​IMG]

My broody white silkie hen just hatched out a baby chick on Tuesday, July 8, 2008. The baby chick can walk and was anxious to get out of the nest. I let her out of the nest with the chick. i set her and the chick on the ground, and after about 1 minute the hen went outside and left her 1 day old chick inside alone. Does she not care about the chick and when I let them outside will she leave the chick or will she take care of it. All of my broodys did this today when I tryed it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

There is another white silkie hen that hatched out 3 eggs on June 8, 2008 and she took care of hers and didn't want to leave there sight. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Have the silkies that all have 1 day old chicks not bonded well enough with the chick or does she just not care. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I dont want the chick to die because its mom doesnt care for it. [​IMG] . I put them all back into there nests and they let the chick go under them and everything [​IMG] , just not when there not in the nest. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Does anyone know why she is acting this way?!?!?!?!?!? [​IMG]

!!!!!!!!PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Some chickens make better moms than others...

If she is intent on leaving the chick, you may need to confine her in a crate or small area with the chick and food/water to 'force' her to provide warmth and company for the chick.

That should work unless she actually goes from neglect to abuse/pecking the chick. Then you'll have no choice but to put it in your own brooder.

3. c.wilson

c.wilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2008
    But all 3 of my silkies are doing it. They all hatched there own chicks on the same day. They all leave there chicks. I dont have a brooder. And today when i took 2 different moms with their chicks out one of the older one ran over to the younger one and tryed to fight with it. What should i do about that.??? [​IMG]

4. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Both my broodies stayed on the nest with their chicks for a coupld of days and then slowly would go out with them for a little time each day.

Can you just leave them alone and see when they take them out naturally?

Ellie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by