how come my chicken lets me touch her now

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yoshi xii, Nov 15, 2007.

1. yoshi xii

yoshi xii Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2007
    my chicken let's me touch her now

she kinda stops when i come up to her

what's wrong

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    she's squating. it's a sign of sexual maturity, she recognizes you show dominance over you, just like a rooster would, she is doing this, as a "yeah, you can mount me" kind of thing. Just don't let her get too into it (such as petting or scratching her back when she squats). But it is indeed, a lot easier to catch a squating chicken.

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    My guess is they are viewing you as the rooster and squatting down to be mated.
    Edit...lol like RosyPosyosy said, I'm a slow typer. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2007
  4. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Yup..."You tha MAN!"

5. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Does this mean they're getting ready to lay? Only one of mine is doing it.

And why should I not let her "get too into it"?

6. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    I don't know, I just think it's kind of gross to let them get into you scratching or petting them on the back while they're squatting, you're mounting them. And yes, yours should be laying soon, keep a look out in the next few weeks!

7. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    Quote:I asked this same question, and mine started laying within a week of squatting.

I dont' worry about it too much, and it actually helps when I'm trying to pick them up...they don't run away, that is. As for mimicking the mating, it's not on my mind.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  8. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Mine has been squatting a little over a week now.

9. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

If you want to be able to handle your birds often and easily (and it doesn't gross you out) I say go for the big scratch. Every time our girls squat for us we give a little back scratch and then, if we're not in the middle of doing something else, we pick them up. It's been great! They are so docile and friendly. Plus we don't have a roo and I hate to think of 'em going thru life wo/ any sugar.[​IMG]

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Plus its really fun to watch them shake out all their feathers in an "oooo that felt so good" kinda way. Like they've just had the BEST massage EVER!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by