1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How come my chicken won't get off the nest?! It's been a week!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by honda_DT, Aug 15, 2011.

1. honda_DT

honda_DT Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    One of my chickens won't get off the nest and it has been there for about a week now. I can't tell if it is laying eggs or not because the other chickens in the coop just jump into the same nest box as it and lay an egg then leave. Also i tried taking the chicken out of the coop and closing the door so it couldn't get back in but it just hung around just outside the door and stared at the coop. She will only leave the nest to eat and drink then goes right back. Also when I get close she makes this horrible screeching noise that I didn't even know was possible for a chicken to make.

At first when i realized that she wouldn't leave I just figured that she would eventually realise that her eggs wouldn't hatch and leave but I am starting to get concerned.

What does this mean? Is this called being broody? When will she stop? Is there anything I can do? [​IMG]

Any help is much appreciated, thanks. [​IMG]

2. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    She's broody. Most likely you won't be able to make her stay off the nest. She wants to hatch some eggs. You can let her keep some of the eggs or not but until she changes her mind she will be persistant about sitting.

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    She's just gettin' started [​IMG]

4. honda_DT

May 12, 2011
    Thanks! So should I leave an egg in the coop with her until she realizes that it won't hatch or should I just keep going the way I have and taking the eggs until she quits?

5. JayneMae

JayneMae Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2011
    Orting
    you can always get some fertile eggs to put under her. [​IMG]

6. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    You can either take them or leave them. No matter. If you don't have a roo to make them fertile you may as well take them. She'll sit till she's ready to not sit anymore. What breed is she? My silkies, when they decide to sit there is no stopping them. It don't matter if I take the eggs or not. They will just sit on an empty nest. [​IMG]

7. honda_DT

May 12, 2011
    ^ I don't think that would be possible for me because that would mean I have to buy all sorts of special feed and equipment for hatching 1 chick. [​IMG]

8. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:Thats a good idea especially if your looking to add to your flock. There are several swaps on here and the auctions where you can get about any breed you want.

9. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:Nope, just chick starter. Momma does all the work.

10. honda_DT

May 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by