1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How come she is never broody? Too young?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sgsf, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    I have a Black Cochin Bantam that has been laying eggs for about a month or two now. Egg after egg, she never even sits on them. When I show her the eggs, she's basically like: "What this?" *peck* *peck* - Does she even know what eggs are? I'd really like to see little chicks, but she will not become broody. [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Becoming broody is not something you can make happen and some hens never do go broody.....altho a cochin more than likely will at some point in time. It's a hormonal thing that has to kick in.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  3. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    cochins will not always go broody after a month of laying. i have a 3 year old hen who went broody for her first time on me back in January and has not gone broody since!

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

As others have stated, you cannot make her and not all cochins will brood (or hardly brood).

I have one who has not yet, when all around her are and one who only has once (course I have one who goes broody every 3 months).

Giver her time and good food so she builds up a small bit of reserve.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by