How come there are no eggs

chanty

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 29, 2011
:(No Eggs yet. I don't want to rush things and be impatient but I guess I am. I recently (2 weeks ago) added two red Bovans, 20 weeks old to my new 'flock' (I guess a flock is more than 1) of 11 week old Chanticlercs and the older girls are not laying yet, when I got them they said they would probably be laying right away. They get about 12 hours of light because their coop is pretty dark. I let them out all day. I read they need about 14 hours, could this be why they are not laying yet? They all seem very comfortable together and are used to the routine. So... what is it? They are eating chicken grower, as soon as they lay I will give them layer pellets. Should I be doing something more? Any advise?

Some breeds do start laying at 18-20 weeks - it seems these are mostly the hybrids like sex linked birds.

I think most birds seem to lay around 22-28 weeks.

Once you give them layer pellets, be sure to offer oyster shell, free choice.

ETA: this should have been posted in the Managing your flock section, not the recipe section
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I thought it was logged under managing your flock and egg laying. My chickens are over 22 weeks now but I will be patient for another 6 weeks to 28.

Back
Top Bottom