How come..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cheyfrie26, Jul 24, 2011.

1. cheyfrie26

cheyfrie26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Ohio
    How come when I buy baby chicks from the feed store they grow faster and stronger then the ones I hatch on my own? Is there anything they give them that I might not?

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I think it makes a difference how old your hens are. Young hens lay small eggs. Older hens lay bigger eggs, therefore the chicks are bigger and have more yolk to get started well. Imo

3. cheyfrie26

Apr 17, 2011
    Ohio
    I mean from the incubator.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Some breeders feed their breeding stock a higher protein feed developed for their breeders. Some feed stores sell breeder feed.

5. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Never heard of breeder feed before now. Is it only fed to broody hens or also to laying hens?

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    The birds you are breeding for laying eggs to hatch weather you use a broody or you use an incubator. The claim is that you get a better hatch if your birds are fed a breeding feed which is specially formulated with extra goodies. Breeders Pellets are designed for birds in lay or coming into lay (this means for birds whom are already laying eggs and you are using the eggs for incubating).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  7. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Got it. Thanks cmom - you learn something new every day here on BYC. [​IMG]

8. cheyfrie26

Apr 17, 2011
    Ohio
    Oh ok! Thanks for your post.

9. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Quote:A good breeder will only breed their best, healthiest hens to their best, healthiest roosters, selecting the mating pair to get rid of undesirable traits. Perhaps the chicks you get from the feed store are from a more responsible breeder than where you're getting your eggs for incubation. Or, if you are incubating your own chicken's eggs, perhaps you aren't being as selective as a breeder would be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by