how common are blue or lavendar orpingtons?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by werecatrising, Jan 10, 2010.

1. werecatrising

werecatrising Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    California
    I'd really love to have some. I see pictures of them on here, but have never seen them listed at any hatcheries. Are they super hard to find or am I just looking at the wrong time?

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I don't think you will find any of them at hatcheries and if you do they won't be good quality buy some from breeders on here.

3. werecatrising

Jul 4, 2009
    California
    I'd rather buy from somebody here anyway. Just wasn't sure what my chances were.

4. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    blues are common, lavenders are not.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Lavender orps are still in development in the US. We've been working on them for a few years now and continue to do so. We shared quite a few of our project birds over the past year or so, so there are quite a few others on here with our birds as well. I don't know if we'll be selling anything from them this year as we're focusing on breed conformaton which takes quite some time to make appropriate selections and crossing back to orps to get right after initial crosses to develop a new color variety. You can see some of our birds on my web site.

6. werecatrising

Jul 4, 2009
    California
    Quote:All of your birds are beautiful!

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:We'll also be working on conformation. Now I've just got to find some suitable blacks to cross them with. [​IMG]

8. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    I don't see where you live.
    I bought lav split eggs from Tony, who bought birds from Hinkjc last year, I believe. Hatch due 1/22/10.
    This hatch is for someone else, but she only wants a few hens. I hope to keep a pair. The rest will be available, as will eggs down the line.
    I hope to get some as lovely as their antecedents. [​IMG]

9. werecatrising

Jul 4, 2009
    California
    Quote:I'm in California- in the Sierra foot hills. West Point, to be exact.

10. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    sad news, I only see growth in 1 of the 16 eggs. My prior hatch rates are 35 & 56%, so I don't know if it's the cold or the long distance (from CT) or what. Several had blood rings.
    I am looking for more. Maybe at Stockton.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by