How Common is Egg Binding?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TwoCrows, Apr 6, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am new to chickens and recently joined on here. I have been reading a lot of threads here about hens getting egg bound and I am wondering how common is this? How many of you have had egg bound hens and is there a way to prevent it?

I have 4, 4 week old Australorp chicks and would hate to lose one of them in this fashion. Thanks, Leyla [​IMG]

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have had hens for a long time and have never had a problem with it that I know of. Everything that I have read says that if the hen has good quality feed, clean water and plenty of room for exercise you should not have this problem.

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    The thought of that really freaks me out too. [​IMG]

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thanks for the reassurance! I have kept and raised quail for years and have never had an issue with their egg laying either. Thanks so much for your replies! I will also keep my fingers crossed [​IMG]

5. ladybuglives

ladybuglives Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    humboldt county
    I just had it happen two days ago. I feed organic Modesto Millings feed and give them greens. They have oyster shell, grit and free range for most of the day on grass and mulched ground in a small orchard. The problem is that my one girl lays enormous eggs and it was coming out sideways. I luckily noticed that she was cackling like she laid an egg but saw that she was holding her bottom low to the ground, exposing her vent. I checked for an egg in the box -- nope. Sooo I grabbed the KY jelly and a glove and put my finger inside. I was always freaked I wouldn't know what egg binding looked or felt like. Now I know. The egg was RIGHT inside the vent and sideways. All I had to do was push it so that the end pointed toward the vent opening at which point Nicky grunted really hard and out plopped the egg on the sand. It's good to know what to do just in case and believe me I lived in fear of this before. I am going to try switching my feed for a week to see if they all do better on something else.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    In popular/common breed hatchery birds it is bound to happen in probably about 1 in 5 cases by the time they reach 4 years old. And I mean a serious, likely mortal case of it.

But of course, feed that is better than your average commercial layer feed, breeds better than Sex-Links (most prone to it) and good amount of room to run around do help.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thanks Ladybuglives for the detailed information on what do to if this happens. This may well save hens lives if we know what to do and not just freak out at the time. So I take it that the feed may have a lot to do with this?

Thanks everyone for the information. I will log it into my memory and hope it never does happen. But now at least I may be able to do something should this situation arise.

8. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    This is good information for a newbie like myself as well. I'll add a set of rubber gloves and lubricant to my arsenal. It's good to know the warning signs as I'm not sure as a newcomer I'd recognize them.

9. ladybuglives

ladybuglives Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    humboldt county
    Yeah and I'm as new a comer as ya'll. I haven't even been doing this one year yet! The thinner the gloves the better. My husband keeps these surgical type glove in his shop for certain auto mechanic type work so I snag one of those -- they fit snuggly. The egg was remarkably easy to shift. Another thing I learned was that all the time I have spent getting my girls used to me (and in Nicky's case total ease and comfort with being handled, pet, snuggled) really paid off. She just stood there while I helped her -- no struggling to get free -- no need for another set of hands. I didn't even really hold her. I just knelt over her with her head toward my body and reached behind her. Such a good girl!!!! She's in the nesting box now. I am a little nervous for her because it's the first egg since that episode. I am WILLING her to lay smaller easy eggs!!!!!!

10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Ladybug lives....did your girl lay an egg yet today? You must be on pins and needles!! Let me know how it all turned out. Leyla [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by