1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How common is it for a hen to lay twice in one day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenToes, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I have an EE who is about 30 weeks old. She's been laying for about 2 weeks. On Sunday she laid two eggs - one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Today she did it again!

Is this just a fluke? Or will it keep happening? I thought 2 eggs in one day was a rare occurrence, but maybe I was wrong. Any ideas?

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

did she lay the day before the 2?
    they usually will lay 1 at night, and 1 the next day, and it seems like they laid 2 in a day.

3. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Yes, she laid one yesterday and then 2 today. I know she isn't laying at night because they are no eggs when I'm filling the feeders and waterers in the morning, but by 10 o'clock she'll have laid an egg. And then again the afternoon.

And there's no way it's another hen sneaking in there and laying...my EE is kept with my ducklings.
    [​IMG]

4. NU CHICKS

NU CHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Wyoming
    My EE layed 2 eggs in a row. I Watched! They were her first eggs though. One was real small and 1 was normal. [​IMG]

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

coolz,,, if she keeps it up,, ill buy her [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    UNCOMMON.

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    When my leghorns started laying they were laying an egg a day. The odd part is that they were laying double yolkers. Even though there was only one egg there was 2 yolks. They have settled down a bit now. They lay every day, but they only lay the doulble yolkers about once a week now.

8. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    My RIR's do it quite often so it's not uncommon in my hen house!

9. NU CHICKS

NU CHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Wyoming
    Quote:She has been laying for about A month now and only 1 egg a day. she must have been backed up. [​IMG]

10. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    You guys all have awesome birds. It's not EVEN an egg a day around here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by