HOW common is to get exta large with double yolks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunflowerenvy, Aug 23, 2010.

1. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    my ladies are starting [2monthes] laying eggs and i am getting x-large eggs and when i open the shell i get two egg yolks and 2 fluid same has i open 2 large eggs. so how common is it to get x larges eggs like that? i presume it coming from my leghorn n BO

2. jennifer@couplandtx.org

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    I have leghorns, and when they first start laying you will get quite a few double yolks! Yeah, what a surprise. But as they get older that will stop.. I have started weighing my eggs, I can eyeball it now and know how many grams they are. Yes, I need another hobby [​IMG]

3. sunflowerenvy

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    [email protected] :

I have leghorns, and when they first start laying you will get quite a few double yolks! Yeah, what a surprise. But as they get older that will stop.. I have started weighing my eggs, I can eyeball it now and know how many grams they are. Yes, I need another hobby [​IMG]

why r u weigh your egg anyways?

i love the eggs it take up less room in the refig lol​

4. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    One of my white leghorns also lays MEGA eggs- usually once a week or so (once she layed one the wouldn't fit in the carton!!!) -other days she just lays a regular sized egg. She's been laying for about 6 weeks now and I think I haven't had a really big one in about a week...so she might just be getting more regular.

5. joehafner

joehafner Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2010
    My red stars have been laying for about 2 months now and have settled on 2oz eggs straight out. I have some BO's that are starting in and I'm betting 3oz eggs regularly right now. I'm sure they will settle down.

I did get one of these last month though

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4566767#p4566767

Most of my large eggs seem to be doublers.

6. sunflowerenvy

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by