How cool is too cool for outside?

harleydee

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2017
Just picked up our 2.5 week old Wyandottes today, yay! They have a brooder in our garage with a light for nighttime. Just wondering what the daytime temp should be for them to get to run around in the coop run during the day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to add that today is cooler at 66*F because of rain but our average highs lately are low 70s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

My chicks get taken out VERY young (3 days if the weather is right). And weather being right... means in the 50's with no heavy breeze to me. OK, high 50's that young. Low 50's by the time they reach a couple weeks.

I am on the coast in the PNW, our max temp might hit 66 a couple days during the summer.

If the sun is shining, it is much warmer sitting in it than the temperature indicates. I provide a huddle box, opening facing south, where they can go and rest or warm up together. They very quickly discover the box is their little safe zone.

Of course paying attention to their behavior is key. If they all stand huddled and loud peeping (after a chance to settle in) they might be cold. But I would be surprised if they didn't have a big party!
yippiechickie.gif

I brood in a coop. The current batch went in their home at 3 days old with the weather swinging wildly as it does here in spring (from upper teens to low 80s so far). I always start them without access to the run so they are limited on how far they can roam from their "mama" (heating pad hen). I opened up the doorway to the chick run at 1 week of age. From that point on, they choose when it's warm enough to go out and for how long. You'd be surprised. On cold days, the trips to their hen are more frequent but they still go out. If it's windy, they'll stay in more but again, they will go out and experience the wind. Seeing little chicks happily playing in snow really puts a different perspective on what's "too cold".

The difficulty you'll face is not being able to haul the heat around with you so you have to watch for when they need to warm up. The box idea sounds like your best bet.

got 10 banton cos from the tractor supply. They are 4 weeks old now and getting their feathers. It is around the low 40's at night 50 to 60's during the day and still living in the house. Any idea when they can go outside? I live in Mount Vernon Wa. My little dog is half American Eskimo and pomeranian, she is simply protective over them. When the chick's start playing and makes loud noises she runs over to see if they are OK and starts to cry wanting to be with them. They are in a nice home 3feet by 4 feet center home I made for them and I wonder at times if they are playing or getting to the point for making the pecking order. Not sure yet what sex the all are yet will see. Michelle

got 10 banton cos from the tractor supply. They are 4 weeks old now and getting their feathers. It is around the low 40's at night 50 to 60's during the day and still living in the house. Any idea when they can go outside? I live in Mount Vernon Wa. My little dog is half American Eskimo and pomeranian, she is simply protective over them. When the chick's start playing and makes loud noises she runs over to see if they are OK and starts to cry wanting to be with them. They are in a nice home 3feet by 4 feet center home I made for them and I wonder at times if they are playing or getting to the point for making the pecking order. Not sure yet what sex the all are yet will see. Michelle
Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, they are old enough that there should be some pecking order going on by now.

Do you mean outside full time even at night? They are plenty old enough to go out for day trips right now as long as it isn't pouring rain and gale force winds.

If they haven't been out yet, it is good to bring in a dish of dirt for them to build some immunity to whatever's in the ground. Otherwise short trips for a couple of hours during the warm part of the day for a few days before they are let out all day long. And a simple cardboard box laying on its' side with the opening facing south for them to huddle in and take naps where they feel protected.

My heeler also checks on chicks when there is any uproar.
big_smile.png

Curious to see if you got what you think you did... lot's of people got incorrect breeds from TSC this season.

I would give it a couple more weeks before tossing them out for the nights. Between 6 and 8 weeks old they should be fully feathered and ready.

Back
Top Bottom