how could i continue to get this color?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hdowden, Jan 11, 2013.

1. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    this is a pullet the has a momma who is mixed with a white silkie hen and a milli fleur d'uccle dad and her dad is a lavender d'uccle

momma (white silkie hen mom and mille fluer d'uccle dad)
    [​IMG]

dad (self blue)
    [​IMG]

their chicks (i know the lavender gene is playing a role but i love her coloring and want to try and get some that breed true to this color)

pullet
    [​IMG]

cockerel
    [​IMG]

2. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i know that if i were to breed the 2 offspring together (yes that is a no no) i would most likely get some lavenders then and if i throw her back in with her dad i would probably get more lavenders all with passable leakage and patterns due to the other genes and heck could even end up with a different color since white can be a masker of other colors...so yea i am at a loss as to hoe to get more like her that breed true

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009

first. your lavender bird does not look to be self blue, he looks like lavender Birchen(or lavender golden birchen)

Brown Red d'uccle.

[​IMG]

the mom look like a black tailed buff hen. her genetic make up could be a mix of a bunch of genes. one of them is a columbian restrictor(restricting the black to the tail, leaving gold to the rest of the body)..

the pullet from this cross seem to lack the columbian restrictor and she is heterozygous birchen ER/eb? co+/co+

the cockerel looks to be golden birchen ER/eb? but show restriction on his body. Co/co+ and maybe Db/db+ dark brown.

if you want more birchen looking birds I would use the pullet and cross her back to the lavender sire and you will get many chicks that will look Birchen and others lavender birchen like the Sire

4. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    what phenotype are you looking for? the Silver Birchen(from the Pullet) or the restricted golden birchen from the cockerel?

6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the pullets coloring, i thought it looked like a birchen but wasnt sure if i would be able to call it that due to it being a mix

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by