How creeped out should I be by our bananas right now?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by luvmychicknkids, Jun 23, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Alright, the kids and I were at the grocery and went to buy bananas. We always have a contest to see who can get the greenest ones so we all grab a bunch. The ones my oldest son grabbed had a small, white, web looking patch. I said I thought it looked like a spider egg and flicked it with my fingernail. Immediately, bunches of tiny, baby spiders started running out of it all over the bananas. I looked at the label and they are imported from Costa Rica so I figured I better tell someone. Gave them to a worker who seemed pretty freaked out. Checked my bunch and no spiders so I bought them. Got them home and my kids were afraid to eat them so I pulled them apart to show them they were alright. Yeah.....well, there was some freaky little whitish, mite looking bug attached to the top of one. So now the kids have sworn off bananas forever and I am wondering just how safe they really are.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Well, that is pretty awful!!! But, on the bright side, at least they arent loaded with pesticides... Hmmm, that just isnt as comforting as it should be, is it? [​IMG]

3. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    [​IMG] Pretty darn freaked out.

I'd be carrying a can of bug spray with me to the grocery store next time! [​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    WOW now I'm going to start checking my bananas lol !

5. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Well, asher, when the kids were little I carried Lysol in case I needed the changing table, so I guess I could just switch the bug spray, now. [​IMG]

Well, that is pretty awful!!! But, on the bright side, at least they arent loaded with pesticides... Hmmm, that just isnt as comforting as it should be, is it?

LOL...yeah, I am sitting here trying to decide on the lesser of two evils!!!

I am NOT bothered by bugs....unless I have no clue what they are or how harmful they may be!!!

Yeah, I would recommend everyone check them first! I have been calling everyone I know saying OMG check your bananas!!! LOL They probably think I have gone crazy!!​

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  6. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    eewwwww, you gotta call the manager of that store. Maybe he or she can contact the place whoever sold them the banannas. Thanks for the post, I'll be checking my produce more carefully.

7. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Well, I just called and they basically acted like I was crazy and said "Uh huh....we will look at the bananas. Have a nice night." So I suppose they aren't too terribly concerned. I just hope those spiders aren't anything too bad.

8. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    An ex-boyfriend of mine is with USDA-APHIS. I'll ask him about this.

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I had a banana with a passenger also...I swore off bananas for quite a while...These also came from Costa Rica, but I had a caterpillar on mine. We name him Scrunch and he became a moth eventually...

10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Oh Spotted Crow! I was just getting ready to PM you to come tell us about Scrunch!

Because of Scrunch, I always check my bananas before I eat them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by