How dark should an egg be?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pek, Nov 9, 2011.

1. pek

pek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I have six ameraucana eggs in the incubator on day 5, i candled them and four of them looked dark but the flashlight i was using wasn't the brightest and the eggs are at least two inches long, the other two eggs had smaller dark patches and should i be seeing movement?

2. pek

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    im seeing what your supposed to see at 52, hmm is suppose that is okay because i started late in the day

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I have never been able to see much of anything with my darker eggs.

Here's the eggs I'm currently incubating:
    [​IMG]

I can't see through eggs 1 and 2 at all- they're almost totally opaque and it was only day 5 when I candled.

It was the same way with those chicks on my last hatch. There was a couple that I never could see through at all. But, as you can see, it worked out fine.
    [​IMG]

Granted, this is only my second hatch ever, but I only saw movement twice last time, and I candled quite frequently. I've been trying to hold off because I know that it doesn't get very interesting til days 7-10. (I'm at day 6 now)

4. pek

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Quote:how big were your eggs? my like i said are huge and a dark (for an egg) green

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I didn't weigh them, but I'd guess they were XL or Jumbo sized- as you can see, eggs 1 and 2 barely fit in the incubator. None of them are turning particularly well, which is common with this incubator when you get the very large eggs. They're definitely longer than 2".

Here's a picture put out by the company. I'm guessing these are average sized eggs:
    [​IMG]

Compare that picture with my picture and you'll see how big they are. After I posted the first response, I went to candle again, and I was able to see a bit of veining on the edge of egg 1, so it's definitely a keeper.

6. pek

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    i just candled and only one egg has a chick in it all the other are really dark, should i trash those? is there bacteria in them?

Quote:

7. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I never toss blue green eggs until day 18.
    By Day 18, you can really tell the bad ones compared to the growing ones. Relax, take it easy, stop worrying and let the eggies grow!

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    they'reHISchickens :

I never toss blue green eggs until day 18.
    By Day 18, you can really tell the bad ones compared to the growing ones. Relax, take it easy, stop worrying and let the eggies grow!

X2​

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Way too early in the incubation process to be tossing eggs that you are really unable to candle effectively.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by