How deep do they have to dig to get in?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Hegatha, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Just wondering how much room a skunk or raccoon needs to be able to get in? How deep do they have to dig to fit under?
    Thanks

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Just like a rat- once they can get their head through, they'll work their body through. A five or six inch diameter hole is more than large enough.

3. Hegatha

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    So two or three inches is too small I can fit my hand underneath. I have cement 12 inches deep but its covered by three inches of dirt.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Lots of people lay wire fencing or hardware cloth on the ground going a foot or two away from the coop. You might just need a few inches because of the concrete. Trick is securing it to the coop.

5. Hegatha

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Ya securing it will be a proublem bc this is were my doors are lol. I have bricks around the run part but the doors I cant put a bunch of bricks or secure wire to the doors. I could lay the wire down and use those garden things they use to hold the cloth people put down to keep weeds from poping up.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  6. Hegatha

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    So I put a foot of of wire out from the door and used tent stakes to hold it down. now I got cement in the ground and a wire apron. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by