how deep does "the trance" go??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by technodoll, Nov 27, 2009.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    My silkie pullet (8 mths old) is in a deep trance, completely zoned out, sitting on some eggs the past couple of days.

Very, very sweet and docile, she lets me pet her, move her around, check the eggs and stuff.

Not a peep.

I tried putting her near food and water today and once peeled off the nest, she will flatten onto the ground wherever I put her and not move, it's like she's stoned or something - is this normal? Do hens put themselves on a mental break for 3 weeks straight and emerge normal after that?

All so new... apologies for the stupid questions [​IMG]

2. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    I have heard that they will go into a trance-like state, but when they absolutely need potty/food they will emerge for up to 30 minutes at a time. Hope all goes well for you and your hen!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  3. Chooksaurus

Chooksaurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    NW WI
    Sounds like she went broody. It can be broken by letting her hatch some fertilized eggs or through broody-buster methods. Someone posted info regarding busting broody behavior, but you'll have to search for it.

Out of 3 bantam chicks that we bought from a feed store, the 3rd one just went broody on us. We are 3 for 3...it was cute the first time, bearable the 2nd, and this one is annoying. [​IMG]

4. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Oh I know she's broody, we gave her six eggs to sit on since Wednesday and hopefully a few will hatch (we have two silkie roos and the dominant one does his job very well from what we've seen every time we break an egg to eat it...).

I'm just suprised at how focused a hen can be when sitting on eggs [​IMG]

ps: her eggs are silly anyways (like, MINUSCULE) so I don't mind if she goes broody instead of laying, LOL!

5. Chooksaurus

Chooksaurus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    NW WI
    Quote:,

Oops, sorry, misread the original post. [​IMG]

To answer the actual question...one of ours was like that, the other would get disturbed very easily. Not sure if it is more of an individual thing or a breed thing. The "good" one would let you lift one side of her up like a toilet lid to candle eggs, check for new eggs, etc. and would flatten right back down again after you were done. She was awesome.

ps: her eggs are silly anyways (like, MINUSCULE) so I don't mind if she goes broody instead of laying, LOL!

I thought the same thing until this last one went broody. We have 6 nesting boxes and just added 8 hens, so it was already going to be a battle for the favorite boxes. Now that the broody is taking up one, it just creates a bit of a hassle. I suppose if she is fine with someone sitting on her head to lay, I shouldn't care, but I tire of moving her to collect eggs.

Good luck with your hatch!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by