How deep of wood chips for baby chicks?

DonaldG

Chirping
Feb 17, 2015
Dryden, Ontario, Canada
First timer for chicks, we are finally getting them in another week. How deep should the wood chips be in their 'box' they will be going in? I have a bigger one for when they are 2-3 weeks old with about 4" in it but I'm not sure how much I should have in the first smaller box?

Just an inch or so. They will be so light that they will stand on top of whatever you put down, so there's no need to put a lot. I usually start with just enough to cover the bottom and add a little to keep it clean over the week, then clean on weekends. Of course as they get much larger I clean more frequently.

When I clean out the box completely (dump the shavings), I just put a very thin layer of shavings to cover the brooder. Just enough to cover the bottom. Every day I add more shavings to cover up the mess they make so that they don't walk in it. In about a week or so, I dump it again.

I usually start them off for the first few days with paper towels lined on top of the shavings so they can see the feed that falls out of the feeder and pick it up. Then after a few days i take away the paper towels and let them run on the shavings.

We elevated the water on a 2x4 and put the food in a small box that was just a bit bigger than the feeder itself- this definitely cut down on poo and shavings in the water and loss of food.

I put just a thin layer of pine shavings. But the fun thing I did was add an old brick to the floor of the brooder. They love to sit on it.
I think it absorbs the warming lamp heat, and feels nice on their feet. I've seen all five of them sleeping on it. So cute.

Back
Top Bottom