How deep to trim wings

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MonkeyZero, Jan 12, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Songster

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    :Hi

How many inches should i clip my pullets feathers? They are long and huge! It just flapped and jumped up to a 6 and a half foot fence [​IMG] ! How do tell where the bones are? Anyone have a pic of the anatomy?

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Crowing

If you pull her wing out, you'll see the flight feathers, which are the longer ones. Those are the ones you clip back.
    Edited to add: If you clip only one wing, she won't be able to fly up like that!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

4. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Songster

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    The DIY says the one wing clip didnt help, but some websites and a book said that you have to clip one so it cant fly.Should I clip one???

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Crowing

I clip one because clipping two didn't seem to help as much.

6. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Songster

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    how do i hold her in a calm way without being bit by her SHARP beak?

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Crowing

You're going to have to have someone help you. If you cover her head and wrap her up with a towel, she will stay calmer.

8. MommaV

MommaV Hatching

Nov 23, 2012
    I am new to having chickens. At first we clipped both wings. But all four of our Orpingtons could still get over the 5ft fence. The we started clipping just one and let the other one grow out. They did a few face plants, but don't even try to escape anymore.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: