How deep

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by toyzbox, Apr 20, 2009.

1. toyzbox

toyzbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Crestview, Fl
    How much bedding should be in the brooder? I know I'm going to put paper towels on top for the first few days. We were thinking maybe just put some old towels under the paper but if it's better to put real bedding, how deep should it be?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    i put mine about two inches thick so i can turn it daily.. Keeps the smell down. And personelly I would'nt use the towels, they would be messy and would prob hold the ammonia...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  3. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Around 2 or 2 and a half inches. That way the chicks can nestle up in it and stay warm. That's a no no on the towels.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  4. Peeplperson

Peeplperson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Napa
    I'm brand new to this (7 new 5 day old chicks) but am finding that paper towel just around the waterer keeps the wood shavings out of the water. Otherwise I end up with a soupy mess.

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Good Point... I actually set my waterer on a plate... It kept trying to fall over with the pine shavings

6. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I put my waterer on a brick so they can't sling chips into it as easily. After about 2 weeks i raise it another brick high. Good Luck

7. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I use old cut up flannel sheets over the chips for the first week or so. I can change them daily and just soak them in a bucket of soapy water to get them clean enough to launder. With more than a few chicks I would got through a whole roll of papertowels a day!

8. toyzbox

toyzbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Crestview, Fl
    I set up the brooder last night. I've read here that a few folks lost chicks because the feeder or water fell over on them. I can see why now. I'll get some blocks tonight to set them on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by