How did I end up with all these hens that won't set?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kycowgirl78, Apr 27, 2009.

1. kycowgirl78

kycowgirl78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Morgantown, Ky
    I have about 8 white leghorn hens that I know will not set but I also have 2 ameracauna hens, 1 bantam hen, 5 LF game hens and NONE of these huzzies will sit on a nest. I guess. My ameracauna has 6 eggs that have been in there for some of them over a week, the bantam has 2 that have been there a week. Should I throw them out? How long can a hen collect eggs and the eggs still be good if she does go to set? I keep being told if I just leave the eggs alone that when they get as many as they are satisfied with they will start to set. Well I've got an almost empty incubator that I'm not just going to let a bunch of eggs get wasted on waiting for some hen. The bantam especially, hasn't laid any more in several days. If she was gonna set wouldn't she still be laying? Also, I always hear how great setters and mother LF game hens are and my 5 won't set at all. At one time there was 5 eggs from a couple different hens but eventually if you leave them in there one of the chickens, I think one of the hens even, starts to break them. The ameracauna usually lays every day but I have been removing the new eggs and leaving the old 6 to see if she starts to set. I've been told that as long as I keep removing the new egg and she's not allowed to collect any more than she'll never start to set on the old ones but I wonder if it's not too late for the old ones anyway. I know those first couple were laid over a week ago. SOOooo many questions. Someone please help!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I feel for ya. I have 14 LF brahma hens. S'pose to be good broodies. Someone forgot to tell mine that!
    Just so you know, I have tried leaving a bunch of eggs for them (up to 16) and created a special broody nest that is secluded and enclosed on three sides. It doesn't help. They won't go broody until they are ready to and when they do even having no eggs will not stop a determined broody.
    Mine have one more month to decide that motherhood is for them. After that I'm buying an incubator and gonna hatch some silkies. You watch and see, I'll probably be the only BYC'er with a silkie that won't go broody. [​IMG]

3. kycowgirl78

kycowgirl78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Morgantown, Ky
    Quote:Oh good, someone else has this problem. Well, not necessarily good but you know what I mean? I do have an incubator and that's why I've been taking the new eggs so they won't ruin from some dumb hen. So even if I remove all the eggs a hen will still go broody if she's wanting to set? And how will I know what to look for if she's acting broody? If you haven't ever had one set you may not know either but I wouldn't know even if a hen was acting broody cause I've never had a broody hen. More info please!
    Thanks for the relief I'm not the only one though.

4. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Fertile eggs can wait two weeks before they are incubated. Hens that are acting broody will not leave the nest... even if you put your hand in to collect her eggs she will not leave. They also tend to start loosing feathers so there skin will warm the chicken eggs.

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I have a rosecomb that is 1 year old and this is the 2nd time she has gone broody !

She had lost all her chest and tummy feathers.
    She was sitting on 2 wooden eggs for 2 days so I put some fertile eggs under her in the dark and stole the wooden eggs. She went after me making a terrible noise and pecking me ! [​IMG]

She has been on her nest which I have taken a piece of plywood and given her her own section with food and water. I'ts 6 days on the eggs and she is determined. When I replace water and food she comes after me ! Today I gave her a chopped up boiled egg and she ate all of it.

I am sick of using an incubator and being the broody ! [​IMG]

I hope she stays on them and I will give her special treats forever ![​IMG] (she loves meal worms).

If a hen is really broody she will sit on golf balls, wooden eggs or even a empty nest from what I hear. I read about a broody that brought little green apples to her nest and sat on them ! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2009
  6. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    Don't worry, when those hens go broody, you'll know it.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What the others said. When you have a broody you'll know it. She'll sit on the nest non-stop and when you try to reach under her she'll fluff up and growl at you.
    I actually had two that played at going broody for a whole day. One of them, Lil' Bit, bit me when I tried to check under her. She lost interest after that one day. [​IMG]
    Hatching green apples huh? I read of one hen trying to hatch a horse "apple", but that's different right? [​IMG]

8. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    You know what's gonna happen...they will all start going broody at the same time...lol I have 3 broody, setting on guinea eggs, and a silkie that just hatched a few chicks...that wants to set again!!! After she gains a little weight, and if she still wants to set, I will put some turkeys eggs in the nest for her. She doesn't get up ever to eat, drink or poo. I have to physically take her off the nest to let her walk around...she goes right back.

They will go broody when you don't want them too...lol

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, I figure about a week after I buy the bator and set eggs in it to hatch everyone of my hens will decide to go broody and with my luck, my roo will try his best at going broody too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by