How did I get an egg this big?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Alpha Chick, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Alpha Chick

Alpha Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    St Pete, FL
    So, I have 5 layers. My Jersey lays the largest egg and it's a nice dark rosy color (I can easily identify her eggs). Then my Dominicker lays the second largest and second darkest egg (so also not too hard to identify). The other 3 girls lay eggs that are a bit more of a medium size and lighter color (EE, Brahma and ? girl). Lady, the Brahma has been broody and then hatched her chicks and now is back in the main coop. I picked up the eggs this morning and there were 5, and I believe they were all from 1 day, so it looks like Lady is laying again. She took off about 2 months. As I pulled the eggs, I pulled Jersey's and then 3 smaller lighter ones and reached in for Nicki's egg and it was HUGE. Jerseys are 2" and this one is 3". How did I get one so big? It's Nicki's color egg but I wondered if it could be Lady laying a large darker egg since she hasn't laid in so long?

Just wondering what's up with that!

2. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    That's probably the case. Sometimes I'll get a big one if they skip a few days. Was it a double yolk?

3. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Sometimes a hen's body will release 2 yolks instead of just one. In this case, your eggs will be larger.
    I have 5, had 6, production hens that would lay 6 eggs a day, and at least once a week someone would lay one so large it wouldn't even fit in a jumbo egg carton, by alot! I'm talking monster size! And they still would never miss a day of laying. Just one of those chicken things. [​IMG]
    And sometimes they didn't even have two yolks in the big ones.

4. Snegurochka

Snegurochka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My Brahma always laid huge eggs compared to the others, at least once she got older. Double yolkers are generally elongated, but her regular ones were rounded.

5. Alpha Chick

Alpha Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    St Pete, FL
    I haven't cracked it yet, waiting for a time that my husband and I are together for a meal. It is what I will be making then!

Lady's eggs so far have been in the medium catagory. If she is going to start laying extra large double yolkers I might have to give her more treats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by