How did i get an olive egger?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 8GeeseALaying, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Last spring I Incubated some eggs out of my white leghorn hen "Dumpling" and my golden duckwing pheonix rooster "Elvis" Out of 4 eggs I got 3 pullets and a rooster. 2 of the pullets are black with reddish neck feathers and 1 is black with greyish neck feathers and the rooster is solid white. All four have bluish ear lobes. One of the pullets started laying this past week and i have gotten 5 of the prettiest olive colored eggs. Did i unknowingly breed an olive egger with this cross? I really do not know much about cross breeding to get colored egg layers and what not. Im just a chicken and goose lover that likes raising chicks and goslings. I do not have any ameracauna chickens or ameracauna blood in my flock. I also only have one white leghorn and she is the only one that lays white eggs.

This is my Rooster Elvis and Dumpling is in the Upper Right corner. They are visiting their favorite spot, the shade tree that the horses stand under on hot days.

[​IMG]

2. JHorn91180

JHorn91180 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northeast KY
    Sorry to say but since your leghorn lays a white egg and considering your roos comb is completely incorrect for a phoenix he def has Americana blood in him and carried over the colored egg gene. Also I believe phoenix lay a tinted egg that is almost white so this combination should have gave u tinted eggs maybe white. His conformation is a bit off too. My guess is he is half to 3 quarters phoenix but prob half considering u describe the egg as olive and not teal or light blue.

3. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    He isn't a Phoenix sorry to break the the news but he is an Easter Egger. Colored egg laying breed cross with other laying breeds.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  4. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

He may not be pure but he sure is handsome!

5. Im just going on what the person told me he was. I never heard of a pheonix until i got him. My breeds were always the common breeds, until now. Im glad you told me what he was.

Thank you buggledmommy.

6. Jharper

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    Yeah Phoenixes look nothing like that. Haha
    [​IMG]
    This is what they look like.

7. Yeah his feathers arent long enough, his comb is all wrong, legs are short and black. His coloring is close though. And his rear is too perky lol

8. Jharper

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    Yep my EE Pee-Wee my Avatar picture has similar coloring but with a beard and muff.

9. Hes very pretty though. :)

10. Jharper

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by