1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How did I get these color Silkie Chicks? Out of 2 Splashes??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happytraylz, Aug 11, 2011.

1. happytraylz

happytraylz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I'm new at breeding Silkies, and bought a pair of "Blue Splash" Silkies from a lady. She said they had raised clutches with her and the babies were always blue splash. Well, they just hatched 4 chicks, and 2 look all blue & 2 appear white. Everything I have read says that 2 splashes will only throw splash. There are no other parent possibilities. Are they true splash, or can they throw other colors? Reading the silkie color breeding threads gives me a headache!! [​IMG] lol Here are parents and chicks.. Maybe the chicks will get color later...?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Is it the picture or does that roo have some barring?

3. happytraylz

May 25, 2011
    Southern Maine
    He does have some barring also, along with white patches.. Could that be why?

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Papa appears to be blue cuckoo; not sure what mama is. The babies could be splash--the splashings often come much later. If mama really is splash, she is already quite washed out (I am not convinced she has two copies of blue, though). Pretty sure papa has only one copy, too. It is also possible that each parent carries a copy of recessive white, allowing white chicks when they inherit it from each parent.

5. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    I know I would not refer to either as a splash based on apperances, I am glad I was not the only one seeing barring as well. Best of luck with them.

6. happytraylz

May 25, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Ok, thanks for the input. I am new to breeding Silkies, but love them all. I questioned them as Splashes when I bought them, but trusted the sellers word. I'm learning.. [​IMG]

7. jd08

jd08 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Id get a nice black hen and breed him to her and hopefully get some nice cuckoo silkies!!!!

8. happytraylz

May 25, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I have been trying desperately to find him a couple more 'ladies', as he only has her. [​IMG] I will try for a black, although, he would be happy with any.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by