How did I get these curly lacey feathers (Cochin)? NEW picts post # 1.

kathyinmo

Nothing In Moderation
12 Years
May 14, 2009
(SW MO) Nevada, Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
I bought this chicken, because it looked, "different." It is a Cochin. Where do the curly lacey looking feathers come from? I got it from a breeder, who has no Silkies, no Frizzles or Sizzles, etc. I think I got it from his cull pen, if I remember correctly. How does this happen?

31282_1-02-10_random_chicken_photos_in_10_degrees_008.jpg

ETA: new pictures:
1-09-10Randomchickenphotosin10de-41.jpg

1-09-10Randomchickenphotosin10de-44.jpg

1-09-10Randomchickenphotosin10de-46.jpg

1-09-10Randomchickenphotosin10de-48.jpg

1-09-10Randomchickenphotosin10de-52.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's a splash pullet. I was going to ask if the feathering was area-specific or all over, but you say it's all over? Hmmm....
The feathers blocking the view of the comb, is that a small crest or just the same fluffy feathers as the rest of her? Is it a single comb up there, or has it a different shape? I would suggest getting a kid to take three sets of feathers to school and turn it into a microscope project! I'd be interested to see how they differ from a regular Cochins feathers as well as a Silkie's.

ETA: this is filligree, what her feathers remind me of
31816_filligree.jpg

Last edited:
what a pretty little bird... do you have a closer pic of some of the feathers??? i'd love to see more detail now that we've seen how pretty it is in a full body shot...

P.S. you can bring me that bird when you come out this way... she's go well in my black pen.. lol..

Back
Top Bottom