How did I get these curly lacey feathers (Cochin)? NEW picts post # 1.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kathyinmo, Jan 8, 2010.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I bought this chicken, because it looked, "different." It is a Cochin. Where do the curly lacey looking feathers come from? I got it from a breeder, who has no Silkies, no Frizzles or Sizzles, etc. I think I got it from his cull pen, if I remember correctly. How does this happen?

ETA: new pictures:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I can't help you, but oh, so neat!
  3. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    wow! could you give me the breeder's name? that is a very interesting feather type!
  4. kathyinmo

I will email him and ask if he breeds for this, or if it is unusual. As I recall, I got this one from his cull pen. I could be wrong, though. I don't remember any others like it.
  5. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's so neat!!! I hope you are planning on breeding to see what happens? It's like she's laced or her feathers are lacey...Love it!
  6. cochin123

cochin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    her feathers look worn . my hens look like that after the breeding season , GOOD ROOS [​IMG]
  7. kathyinmo

No, it's not from a roo .... It is all the feathers. Actually, I don't know for sure if this is a hen, or a roo ..... [​IMG]
  8. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I think it's a splash pullet. I was going to ask if the feathering was area-specific or all over, but you say it's all over? Hmmm....
    The feathers blocking the view of the comb, is that a small crest or just the same fluffy feathers as the rest of her? Is it a single comb up there, or has it a different shape? I would suggest getting a kid to take three sets of feathers to school and turn it into a microscope project! I'd be interested to see how they differ from a regular Cochins feathers as well as a Silkie's.

ETA: this is filligree, what her feathers remind me of
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  9. kathyinmo

Quote:Oh, yes, I see ! [​IMG]
  10. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    what a pretty little bird... do you have a closer pic of some of the feathers??? i'd love to see more detail now that we've seen how pretty it is in a full body shot...

P.S. you can bring me that bird when you come out this way... she's go well in my black pen.. lol..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by