How did I get this White silkie hen??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CreamBruelle, Oct 1, 2016.

1. CreamBruelle

CreamBruelle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2016
    I have a flock of blue, black and splash Silkie hens over a buff silkie roo. I bred them a couple of months ago and out of the batch I got blues and blacks and an all white silkie! Is this even possible with the chickens I've got? I know the color blue can also turn out to be black or splash but I didn't know one could be all white. I've also got white Cochin frizzles but I separated them when I bred my silkies. When the chicks hatched, I had no idea that one of the chicks was going to be all white.

2. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    @Sonoran Silkies
    @QueenMisha

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  3. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    As far as I know, you can't get white silkies from any color besides white. It may be white visually, but genetically, I don't think it's technically white nor can it have real white offspring. :) How old is it? Can you post a pic?

4. CreamBruelle

CreamBruelle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2016
    It's about 4 months old

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The parents carry recessive white.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My understanding is silkies carry recessive white, not dominant white. Apparently your birds are carrying recessive white and the genes just lined up for that 25% chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by