How did I screw up again????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bryan8, Aug 30, 2009.

1. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Well this is my 2nd time trying to hatch something....

I have a lg still air with a turner.

I put 11 eggs in 20 days ago, and 4 were not fertile. So 7 were left. On day 18 I candled and one one was really dark. Itrs day 20 at 9pm tonight. I think I may have a zero hatch again.......

What am I doing wrong?? The temps ranged from 99-100.

help

And ive been putting small amounts of water in so i wouldnt drown them. Then filled the ring on day 18.

~Bryan

2. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    How old were the eggs when you set them?

What was your humidity throughout?

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  4. ems_chick

ems_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Morganton, GA
    the still air has to be run warmer... i ran mine at 101.5-102 and it did fine... let your eggs sit till day 24 or so, they just may need extra time [​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Ems_chick's post reminded me of something I read on this forum.

Where are you taking the temperature? I've heard that in a still air, you need the thermometer level with the top of the eggs. The temperature can supposedly vary a coupe of degrees from the top to the bottom of the eggs.

6. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    I mounted my theometer so that when the turner moves it takes the temp at the bottom of the eggs to the tops of them. And I didn't use a humidy meter.

Should I buy a digital t/h meter?

7. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:Yes you should. I just hatched 7 chicks from 12 eggs in a LG. I had my humidity between 35 and 50 for the first 18 days and then 70 to 80 after the 18 days. After the 7 hatched I saw the humidity went to 90 and I lost the rest I think they drown.

But I did better with the humidity up to 80 because I could see when they were zipping that the membrane wasn't dry. So it's important to have one. You don't want to drown them but on the other hand you don't want the membrane dry either.

I would give them extra time too.

8. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    What kinds are good? And how would it fit in with the turner. Also how would you keep a consit humidty?

9. ems_chick

ems_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Morganton, GA
    i got mine at walmart for $6-7, its the size of a beeper and white. it works perfectly, i set it on top of the turner with the eggs. just put water in the bottom of the bator untill your humidity is where you need it. sometimes you have to add a little more water to keep it up. there are two channels in the bottom, i believe you fill the outside one for the first 18 days, then both of them are filled for days 18-21.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by