How did my new pullets stop my old ones from laying??

sevenbabychicks

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 9, 2010
Saint Paul, MN
A month ago I bought three young pullets to add to my flock. I think they brought some pestilence with them because a few of my chickens have since gotten sick. I tried that vitamin/electrolyte powder and it worked wonders for them. Only a few actually got sick, and everyone seems to be feeling better now, but I'm still getting only 1-2 eggs a day from six 8 month-old pullets! Before I got the new chix, I was getting 5-6/day. Even my industrial-strength EE who was averaging an egg a day and who never even got sick suddenly stopped laying! What's going on??

Even if none of them had gotten sick, just the upheaval in the flock from adding new chickens is enough stress to stop chickens from laying, temporarily.

I wish you luck with the disease problem. I don't know how much of a lingering issue you're going to have with it in the future or how much that's effecting their laying, depending on what they actually have.

I put a tablespoon of ACV in a gallon of water. Different people say different things. I doubt that it's critical how much you use.

Not in a metal (galvanized) waterer, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom