How did my Quail die??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by oDuskDawno, May 13, 2019.

1. oDuskDawno

oDuskDawno In the Brooder

May 10, 2019
    My quail Dusk died randomly, she was fine 5 minutes before, but then she started to open her mouth wide, I touched her head and it was loose and limp, then I picked her up and her whole body went limp. She started going crazy I ran to the room her cage is in and set her down she was still going crazy I picked her up her mouth still being opened wide and then she jumped out of my arms and tryed to go under her cage. Then I picked her up and she died a few minutes later. I just want some advice.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What state are you in?

oDuskDawno likes this.
  3. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Crowing

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    How old was she?
    Do you have any other quail?
    What do you feed?
    What does "going crazy" mean? Like a seizure?

oDuskDawno likes this.
  4. oDuskDawno

May 10, 2019
    She was about and year and a half, I know that's the adverage life span for a quail but it was so sudden.
    We feed her a seed mix for chickens
    No we don't but we were going to get a couple more.
    yes kind of she was a little calm in our hands but she was going crazy on her side not standing up so much

5. oDuskDawno

May 10, 2019
    ChickenCanoe
    Sorry to be rude but , why does this matter? its not cold if that's what it is?

6. DK newbie

DK newbie Songster

Apr 20, 2015
    A seed mix for chickens is not adequate for a quail. Too little protein, vitamins and minerals and you also need to remember to feed grit when feeding seeds. Was she eating before she started acting strange? In that case, I suppose she could have gotten a seed in her airways, though I've never heard of that.. Were you with her all the time from 'acting normal' to 'open mouth' or could she have boinked? Were there other birds in the room at the time?

By the way - quail can easily live 3+ years, people just usually cull them at 1½ years because their egg production starts to drop around that time.

oDuskDawno and danceswithronin like this.
  7. el dorado quail

el dorado quail Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    I think ChickenCanoe was asking about your location because some states are having deadly outbreaks of avian diseases

8. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    There are outbreaks of chicken illnesses in some states...

9. danceswithronin

danceswithronin Crowing

May 24, 2018
    Alabama
    Newcastle disease: https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...virus-infections/newcastle-disease-in-poultry

Several states are under lockdown due to an outbreak, it is very deadly to avian livestock, but quail are especially susceptible because they're more fragile in general than chickens typically are.

oDuskDawno and CoturnixComplex like this.
  10. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Crowing

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    That may have been the cumulation of a major vitamin deficiency. Quail need gamebird feed specifically designed for them, they can't eat chicken food long-term.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: