How did our sweet girl die?

Chilly Lizard

Songster
May 21, 2016
Backyard Farm in the NW
We found our sweet Rhode Island Red girl this morning leaning against the wall on her perch. My daughter said she was not her active self yesterday but was sweet and went to bed with the rest last night. My concern is the way her feathers had thinned out on her neck since being broody last Spring. We feel terrible. We obliviously missed warning signs. This bare patch is new this morning. I checked her bum and it was clear. Any one have any ideas what may have caused this? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    838.1 KB · Views: 10
Sorry for your loss. Is there something odd about her ear opening? Is it just because her feathers were missing? It is always hard to guess what caused a death. Sometimes we can find a hard round crop which might have been a cause, but most things internal can’t be seen without a necrospy. A state vet can do the best one with lab tests, but we can also do them at home, to look at organs, the abdominal cavity, the crop and fizzard and intestines for anything unusual. If you do one take pictures to post pictures here for opinions, and if you get a professional one, let us know what was found.

Back
Top Bottom