How did she know?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tazcat70, Oct 24, 2008.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I put eggs under a broody hen. I pulled them out of the incubator on day 18 and stuck them under her. She has not moved once since then. How did she know that they were on day 18 and that they should not be turned? [​IMG]

2. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Ha! That is cute! They're just smart like that I guess. [​IMG] What kind of hen? And what is she hatching for you? [​IMG]

3. tazcat70

She is a Black bantam. I think a Dutch. She is sitting on 5 blue EE. [​IMG]

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    She could possibly hear the chicks either peeping or tapping the shell.

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Funny how they know things like that, Kind of like how some hens know if an egg is bad !!!! Smart little dummies !!!!

6. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

no kidding....I took eggs from two different girls one evening and layed them in the grass while I re-watered everyone....one of my girls got out of her next, went over to her egg, and was rolling it back to her nest. (Talk about GUILT!!!!) Smart bird!!

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:LOL !!!!!!! They are so cute when the "fight" for there eggs !!!!! Did you end up giving it back to her ???

8. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sadly, NOOOO, I didn't...but nearly cried all the way to the house....it was a good lesson for me....now, I rob and run with the eggs..... it's a ridiculous, sad story of how my hen outsmarted me!!

9. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. tazcat70

Yuppers! Well she has 4 little babies for her efforts! I just love her! I picked her up at my first auction for $1.25 and brought her home. I named her Sunshine because she would always greet me like a ray of sunlight. [​IMG]

Last time she sat on eggs for the entire time and then about 3 days before they were due to hatch another chicken started sharing the nest with her, so when the chicks hatched they shared the babies. Silly chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by