How did the Dorking chicken get its name?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Anybody know?
    Their really pretty birds but their name makes them sound like their as big of air heads as Silkies!

2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Cause they were Dork's!!! ( Like silkies ) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    They're dorks [​IMG]
    No seriously, I don't know. I'll look it up.

4. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

you two are funny [​IMG]

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The birds are named after the market town of Dorking in Surrey which in the nineteenth century became one of the main centres of production.

Wikipedia. It wasn't that hard to find out.

6. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Fred's Hens :

The birds are named after the market town of Dorking in Surrey which in the nineteenth century became one of the main centres of production.

Wikipedia. It wasn't that hard to find out.

Too lazy to look it up or I would have.​

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    This has nothing to do with the Dorking chichens, but it's still my dork story. [​IMG]

I have a Komondor dog, but if I have more than one Komondor, then I have Komondork. The s becomes a k in Hungarian. I love having a dork. [​IMG] He is the biggest dork I have ever known too.

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:Too lazy to look it up or I would have.

I still have troubles remembering that when I have a question, that I should just use Google to find the answer. [​IMG] But I am slowly learning to start there first. [​IMG]

9. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Too lazy to look it up or I would have.

I still have troubles remembering that when I have a question, that I should just use Google to find the answer. [​IMG] But I am slowly learning to start there first. [​IMG]

I do enough research on the chicken breeds I am involved in now that I dont find it necessary to look up an answer on a breed i not into. It fills my head with things I dont need to know which takes away from the things I DO need to know! [​IMG]

honestly I didnt see the hurt in asking a question like that but apparently there was a problem so..

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  10. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I still have troubles remembering that when I have a question, that I should just use Google to find the answer. [​IMG] But I am slowly learning to start there first. [​IMG]

I do enough research on the chicken breeds I am involved in now that I dont find it necessary to look up an answer on a breed i not into. It fills my head with things I dont need to know which takes away from the things I DO need to know! [​IMG]

honestly I didnt see the hurt in asking a question like that but apparently there was a problem so..

I don't think "hurt" was implied, but rather Fred's Hens was stating that BYC isn't the only place to find things out. The internet is huge. I know that since I got my laptop, whenever I have an "I wonder..." moment, the first thing I do when I have internet access is look it up. Plus, the act of "surfing the net" can lead to finding out more than just the answer to the original question (just keep a skeptic eye on the source of the information....), which greatly improves your ability (over time) to win points at Trivia Pursuit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by