How did this happen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NysiaAnera, Dec 8, 2016.

1. NysiaAnera

NysiaAnera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID
    Okay, someone please tell me how I got this?

My roosters are Buff Orpington and Buff Brahmas.

My hens are Buff Orpingtons, Buff Brahmas, Black Australorps, and 1 Black Sex Link.

How am I getting black and white chicks?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

My guess is that it could have come from whatever happened to be bred together to get your black sex-link hen.

3. NysiaAnera

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID
    What are possible breed combinations to create a BSL?

4. NysiaAnera

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID
    This is my BSL, Goldie.

[​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    There are folks on here that know a lot about genetics - they should be coming along , and will most likely be able to tell you where this came from?

6. NysiaAnera

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID

I hope so, because I am very confused! Lol I need to get some books on chicken genetics to really study.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking that's the Aussie hen and the Orp rooster. Unless chick has feathered legs, then it's the Brahma rooster and he carries the recessive gene for straight comb.

Aussies are extended black, which is a strong dominant gene. Usually buff kind of "holds it's own" against black, and you wind up with a kind of mixed color bird. You can see some buff in the bird's face, that's a common place for the buff to start. For some reason it starts on the front and spreads back.

From what I've read, buff is a very complicated set of genes. From the looks of the chick, I'm wondering if one parent carries birchen? I have no idea if that would be the rooster.....I wouldn't think it would be the hen, the Aussies should have bred anything like that out by now and be simply black.

I'd like to see what kev or......oh, I can't come up with other names right off (not enough sleep, I guess). but any of the other genetics folks.....whatcha all think?

8. NysiaAnera

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID
    No feathers on this one's legs. Thank you for your reply. We have such pretty colored chicks coming from our flock, but the black and white totally threw me for a loop! I look forward to reading more responses.

9. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

In my opinion, it is your BB crossed with your BA.......Cute Chicks..........

Cheers!

10. NysiaAnera

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID

Thanks, we are loving the variety of chicks we are getting. Okay, so how would those two create a black and white chick? And shouldn't there be feathers on the legs too?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by