How did this happen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EggyErin, Apr 4, 2018.

1. EggyErin

EggyErin Songster

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    This is the first time I've ever had one of these. New-laying hens, about two months now. Surface is rough. Is this indicative of a problem or just a bloop? That's a quarter for reference.
    P4040210.JPG

atalantis likes this.
  2. atalantis

atalantis In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    omg:gig:lausory its kinda funny, what type of hens do u have?

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Generally these form around a bit of tissue shed from the reproductive tract. Called wind, fart or fairy eggs

aart likes this.
  4. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Crowing

Mar 22, 2016
    Are they bantam chickens? Is there a yolk in the eggs or just white? The occasional mini egg is usually nothing to worry about in new laying pullets. They commonly have no yolk, but I've had eggs that tiny with a yolk from a small bantam pullet.

5. atalantis

atalantis In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    I just got bantams I regret posting the laugh emoji:barnie:he

Quik1th likes this.
  6. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Crowing

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    Just a bloop. :) Not a problem unless it becomes consistent or presents alongside other consistent egg laying problems as the chicken ages.

7. EggyErin

EggyErin Songster

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    No problem Atalantis - your laughs made ME laugh. All my girls are full-sized; that's why I was a little concerned. I kind of want to crack the egg and kind of not. I think I like the term "fairy egg" best, but really, bloop describes it better. Thanks all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: