how did this happen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by naked_neck, Oct 29, 2007.

1. naked_neck

naked_neck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2007
    louisiana
    i hatched some eggs form my trio of crested ducks. my drake is fawn and white and my hens are chocolate. the drakes parents were fawn and white as well but i dont know the hens parents colors as they came from a hatchery. the ducklings are BLUE! i dont know how that happened but it was quite a surprise to open the bator to blue babies. does anybody know how this could happen? does it have to do something with the chocolate gene?

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    White on the drakes side and undoubtedly black mixed in on the chocolate side could give you the potential for the blue.

3. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Hey there! Don't know much about this stuff but just saw that you were from louisiana too! Whereabouts are you located?

4. naked_neck

Aug 18, 2007
    louisiana
    hey, im from central la, about 45 minutes from alexandria. where are you from?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  5. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    I'm from down by Grand isle/ fourchon area....everybody from louisiana on here is far from me LOL one of these days somebody from my area will join!

6. naked_neck

Aug 18, 2007
    louisiana
    had 3 more hatch. 1 w/a bib and 1 w/a bib and apron. they all have white rings around their necks.

3 more tapping and 1 almost in the air cell. 4 more due next weekend. 2 naked neck eggs due the 5. that will be it for this year. the NN are almost done laying and i dont need anymore ducks even though they are still laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by