How did this happen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lincolnsilkies, Oct 15, 2011.

1. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    I thought when you breed black with blue you get 50 50 well my hen who is black has a blue chick and a partridge chick hm.... i have only one blue rooster which we dont have anymore since we are not aloud to have roos but before we got rid of him he mated with my rosie and i had 8 of her eggs hatch in the incubator last week and now she has 2 with her that have hatched out of 4 i know one egg is not going to hatch we will see about the other

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:i had same thing with my blue rooster and black hen its because blue dosent always breed true and some there was partedge in back ground

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Define "partridge." [​IMG] Do you mean black with gold/brown here and there? Or do you mean a mostly brown bird with penciling and a gold neck?

Sounds to me like someone is carrying something recessive.

4. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    The baby has alot of browns and creams on it no black at all i didnt get a real good look because she is being pretty grouchy right now i will get a pic as soon as i can!!

5. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Heres the baby [​IMG]

6. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    But i see in the pic it looks like Rosie may have a but of red in her so maybe that's how it happened! i love partridges i have none but after this hatch i have 1 from Rosie and 2 from another hatch

7. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    is that black hens or dose she have some partrdge in her feathers

8. lincolnsilkies

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    She is all black but in the pic it looks like she has a bit of red around her neck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by