1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How did you make your nesting box?createful?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pikachuchick, Mar 4, 2013.

1. pikachuchick

pikachuchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2013
    It would be pretty to have a built in one but I want to use or make something like recycle it and make it into a nesting box for chickens . What are some createful ways you all have made onto nesting boxes pictures would be awesome

2. yelnad

yelnad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2012
    Central PA
    I haven't done it yet, but I plan to use rectangle plastic cat litter containers.

3. Nikon

Nikon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    Nevada County, CA
    My Coop
    This is ours that we just completed today. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. pikachuchick

pikachuchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2013
    Sweet!

5. cntrywmnkw

cntrywmnkw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Utopia SC
    My DBF & I used 5 gallon buckets, just cut 2/3 of the lid off, leaving about a 3" lip, turned them on their side & lined with straw, My girls seem to like them.

6. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Mine are just rubbermade type totes. Half filled with shavings (so it's not TOO deep) and topped with hay. The 'nest' is about halfway down. Tucked into a corner, under the poop shelf. The girls seem to like it and there's enough room for 2 if necessary.

7. colburg

colburg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Loving, NM
    I like the 5 gallon buckets with a plastic nest pad. Ours is a roll away design. The nest pads have been in for about 1 month and don't need cleaning yet. Just make sure that the eggs roll far enough away from the hole in the bucket. If the eggs stack up within reach of curious chickens, then they can peck the eggs.[​IMG]

8. witchawomn

witchawomn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    Palos Verdes
    Clever!

9. blackswamp

blackswamp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    NW Ohio
    Nikon
    What size coop do you have there?

10. Nikon

Nikon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    Nevada County, CA
    My Coop
    We have a 4' x4' coop based loosely off the Purina Mills plan that says the max occupancy is 8 hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by