Goosebaby

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Nov 10, 2019
Northern California
My flock has had white diarrhea and occasional respiratory issues since the end of May/ beginning of June, diagnostic testing and a vet isn’t an option currently so I know it’s anyone’s guess what my flock actually has.

Some suggestions included renal coccidia, or a very mild form infectious bronchitis.

As of now the white diarrhea happens mainly in the morning and isn’t as noticable as the the day progresses, the mild runny noses, sneezes,and slight gurgles are mostly gone, everyone’s been eating well, but now and then I hear wheezing and I’ve noticed one had a fever last night, some have shown depression/lethargy that either improves by the next day and is gone or comes back the next day or a few days later.

Eggs were never wrinkled except one single egg that had one slight dent in the top, but they did stop laying after that “they’re geese and mine tend to stop laying this time of year anyway so it’s hard to say if they stopped laying because of sickness or just because it’s their normal pattern.”

My question is what was your expierience with confirmed or suspected IB virus? How long did symptoms last?
Did your birds “whatever the species” show similar symptoms “I understand these are non specific symptoms and could be caused by anything,” and do you have any other information about it? “a lot of what I’ve read is kinda vague and sometimes contradictory.”
Or if you had a similar expierience but it turned out to be something other than IB I’m curious to hear about it too.

Last edited:
Sorry your flock is sick. Is it very hot where you are now? White in chicken poop is like chicken pee... I see more of it in hot weather when they drink a lot.. I have had several chickens with respitory issues get better, while rest of flock seemed just fine. I usually use tylan 50 for respitory issues. One of my young Barred Rocks was recently seemingly on death's door for 10 days wheezing opened mouthed. I kept her in the house on antibiotics and force fed her. (I almost gave up, it was getting to be a hassle.).
She now is fine. I don't do vets for chickens either. Before she got really sick I'd noticed her lagging more on hot days but didn't think much of it since it was 90s.

How do you know that they have a fever? What was their temperature? A normal chickens body temperature is between 104F to 107F. This honestly sounds more like Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) unless you’ve gotten testing done to confirm that it is Infectious Bronchitis (IB). IB is caused by a virus, more specifically, a coronavirus.

How do you know that they have a fever? What was their temperature? A normal chickens body temperature is between 104F to 107F. This honestly sounds more like Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) unless you’ve gotten testing done to confirm that it is Infectious Bronchitis (IB). IB is caused by a virus, more specifically, a coronavirus.
Thank you for the reply, I can’t afford testing so like I said it’s really anyone’s guess what’s going on in my flock.

My thermometer went missing, so Im going on feel, which is obviously inaccurate, but his feet and bill are seriously hot to the touch, not cool or mildly warm like the others.

Last edited:
Sorry your flock is sick. Is it very hot where you are now? White in chicken poop is like chicken pee... I see more of it in hot weather when they drink a lot.. I have had several chickens with respitory issues get better, while rest of flock seemed just fine. I usually use tylan 50 for respitory issues. One of my young Barred Rocks was recently seemingly on death's door for 10 days wheezing opened mouthed. I kept her in the house on antibiotics and force fed her. (I almost gave up, it was getting to be a hassle.).
She now is fine. I don't do vets for chickens either. Before she got really sick I'd noticed her lagging more on hot days but didn't think much of it since it was 90s.
thank you for responding!
It’s definitly been hot here the last few days, 100 to 102f. The white droppings have been happening longer than this heat wave though, and were more intense prior to the heat wave.
This are examples of a few of them.
7CF58389-61BD-43A5-839C-F069F5F246FC.jpeg
AD78BF52-3D0E-4537-97CE-17B7AB601454.jpeg

A few of my girls had slightly pail runny yolks too.

7682E836-C06D-4CB2-818A-5D29FC8AFC72.jpeg

His caecals have been looking more like this the last two days, not dark brown or dark green which is normal for him and the others. 7114E379-71D3-402A-B4F4-0D84FCCE3077.jpeg

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom