how do black australorps: I differentiate a cock from hens at 9 weeks old

PJCM

Hatching
Feb 12, 2016
Mzimba, Malawi
From the begining, I want to ensure that I keep exactly the ratios on my 200 blach australorp birds. Am however failing to differentiate a cock from a hen. Please help. Also, help me with good qualities of a parent stock

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome!
Wow! 200 is a lot of birds!

There is varying consensus on what is a good ratio of roosters to hens. If they are going to be separated into breeding pens with one rooster in each then most people prefer a 4:1 ratio to a 6:1 ratio.
If you are not dividing them up, a higher ratio of around 10:1 is better to prevent fighting among the roosters.

If you are having trouble differentiating between roos and pullets, you are welcome to post photos and the BYC community will help you sex them. I also recommend posting some pics on this thread and read the first few posts :
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/944086/the-big-fat-is-this-a-rooster-thread

Typically roosters will be more dominant and have larger redder combs at this age.

Good qualities in parent stock depend on what you're looking to breed for :
Are you looking to breed for SOP?
Egg production?
Dual purpose birds?
Egg size?
Good temperament?

Last edited:
A male generally has a larger, redder comb early, whereas females usually don't get larger and redder till they are close to laying eggs. You can also post photos of ones you suspect are males at "what breed or gender is this." That should give you a basis to judge females against.

Thanks XXMa. The Male to female ration and qualities have been sorted out. I need my Birds as Parent Stock. They will be laying eggs for incubation. I have 100 at 9 weeks and 55 at 4 weeks. My target is to keep 300 clean birds, I deal for the said purpose. Please help ASAP. I will be selling all that do not qualify the said criteria so that I don't just waste feed on them.

Back
Top Bottom