How Do Feed Stores Claim All Their Chicks Are Hens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HJECG, Feb 17, 2014.

1. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    Now that spring is almost here, several of our local feed stores are carrying various breeds of baby chicks, such as Barred Rocks, Brown Leghorns, Austrolorps, Rhode Island Reds, etc. All the chicks are less than 2 weeks old and some are less than a week old.

Yet the feed store manager told me today that although the occasional cockerel gets mixed in, all the chicks they carry for sale are female, and he also said that the hatchery where they buy their chicks each spring is able to sex breeds such as the one I've listed as early as one or two days old. How is this possible? It's my understanding that woth the exception of sex-link varieties, there's no good way to sex a baby chick. Am I missing something here? Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  2. FaithM

FaithM Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2013
    Most (if not all) standard size chicks actually can be sexed. They use processes called vent sexing and/or feather sexing, where they look for tiny distinctive differences in the vents or feather patterns of the chicks.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  4. Theo

Theo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2010
    The last time I bought 4 chicks at a feed store, 1 was a cockerel. That's 75% accuracy. My friend bought 3 chicks last spring, one was a cockerel. That's 66% accuracy. I think the claim of 95% accuracy is farfetched.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    And to balance you, last time I bought chicks at a feed store I bought almost 30, and got 1 Oops rooster.

6. Theo

Theo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2010
    I just got 8 chicks hatched by a friend's broody hen. My friend said they were straight run--she brought me the ones that ran straight into her hands! The hard to catch ones stayed with their mama.

1 person likes this.
  7. Most feed stores buy their chicks sexed from the hatcheries.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Hatcheries claim 90% accuracy. My last 6 chicks, from the hardware store... 3 EE were pullets. The 3 Doms ALL ended up being Roos. So either they had a newbie doing the sexing on the Doms, or they sometimes get sloppy and grab st run and call them pullets just to fill the quota.

9. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    Feedstores order from hatcheries-- when I did a hatchery order (13) they were 100% pullets-- we have 8 from the feedstore this year... so we will see...

10. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I've bought about 30 pullets from feed stores. Only one ended up being an oops rooster, a few years back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by